John Brown Tannery Park encompasses the former site of a tannery built in 1836 by noted abolitionist John Brown and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In the 1970’s, reclamation of the site by the Kent Environmental Council volunteers began. Today, a natural amphitheater and a gazebo, constructed from tannery building wood, grave the park.
The major uses of this park are picnicking, strolling, sitting, fishing, and as a launch for tubers, kayakers, and canoers. These activities are accommodated by the gazebo, several fishing beaches, and miscellaneous benches and tables. The park has a twenty-car parking lot that is accessed from Stow Street.